I love my Blood Angels Terminators, but they're going into my display case and won't be used for gaming

I learned so much building and painting these guys.
It was a project of love and I enjoyed every minute of working on them.

But I'm not going to use them when it comes to gaming and here's why

One of the key game mechanics in Space Hulk is model facing.
To say it's everything would be an understatement. Moving, LOS, shooting, assault, it all depends on facing.

The Blood Angels that come in the boxed set are amazing models to look at.
It's not until you put them on the board that you quickly learn they're not that fun to play with.

It's not that they're bad or poorly equipped or their rules suck, its that you're always struggling to tell which way they're facing and this drives me crazy. It's right up there with having to look for the edge of every board section to tell where a flamer will affect and where it won't.

This has the wonderful effect of ripping you out of the immersive experience you've desperately tried to achieve by building this little world to play toy soldiers in.

I don't like it and I don't want it in my games.
I want to forget about everything else and just fight little monsters without struggling to figure out which way my models are facing.

Even though I'm not using them, I'm glad I finished them

Like I said, building and painting these guys taught me a tremendous amount.
Even if it wasn't techinical skills, it was the confidence to try something new.

I'm not sad that I'm not going to use them.
I'm glad they taught me what's really important in a model when to comes to Space Hulk.

I want to know which way my model is facing... so I can shoot all the monsters.

Additional links:
• Facing matters in Space Hulk and how your models sit on their base is more important than you think