Three things I learned rebuilding my first Deathwing squad

I'd like to highlight 3 things I learned rebuilding my Deathwing squad.

1. Painting with Contrast Paint takes skill

Sure, you can slap this stuff on, but if you take your time and pay attention to what you're doing, the results are much better. And by better, I mean much cleaner looking.

I've only painted five models, but I can tell I've gotten a lot better at applying this stuff. I still have a long way to go, but I'm getting much smoother and consistent models each time.
2. The old Deathwing shoulder pads from Forge World are notorious for breaking

They're highly detailed tiny resin bits. What could possibly go wrong?

I don't know what it is about the handle of the sword, but this part in particular always seems to break off. Fortunately, it's super easy to resculpt something that's close enough that once it's painted you can't really tell unless you look super close.

I had two shoulder pads that needed to be repaired in this squad.
Who knows how many I'm going to have to fix in the next one.
3. I can paint my bases in sub-assemblies just like my models

It blows my mind I never thought of doing this sooner.
I've built dozens of these bases and never thought to break them into sub-assemblies to make painting them easier. I don't know what finally made me realize I could do it this way, but it's been a huge time saver.

The next step

That's it for the first squad, time to start working on the second squad.

Additional links:
• The first 5-man Deathwing squad
• Project link: Rebuilding my Deathwing